Besides Uganda gorilla safaris and Congo gorilla tours, Rwanda too is famous for mountain gorilla safari tours Rwanda. Gorilla tours Rwanda are one of the popular Rwanda safari activities that are often booked by travelers alongside Rwanda wildlife safaris. However, Rwanda you ought to know that Rwanda tours go beyond wildlife safaris Rwanda & Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris to also feature interesting birding possibilities. Despite its size, Rwanda is home to over 700 bird species, a number that quench the thirst of anyone bird enthusiast looking for a good birding safaris in Africa.
These bird species are located in different Rwanda tour destinations including swamps, forests, national parks among others. During your safari Rwanda, you can pay visit to Rwanda’s 7 favorite bird watching areas including , – Volcanoes National Park, Akagera National Park, Nyungwe Forest National Park, Rugezi swamp, Akagera swamps, Nyabarongo and Cyamudongo forest. As part of your Rwanda bird watching safari adventure, the birds that are commonly spotted on this safari in Rwanda include; Grey crowned crane, papyrus Gonoleck, stripe breasted tit, yellow-eyed black flycatcher, Cinnynis, white-tailed blue fly catcher, shoebill stork, tropical Boubou, regular sunrise bird, bronzy sun bird, among others which combine to make birding tours in Rwanda beyond the ordinary!
Lake Ihema & Akagera National Park Rwanda stand the best spectacular sites for birders as they harbor several endemic and migratory bird species plus other unique wildlife species. Akagera Natioal Park is home to over 520 species of birds that dominate this place, including forest, savannah, wetlands, and montane species. Most interestingly, it’s a home to the rare shoe bill stork. Other species common in Akagera national park include; the gorgeous black headed Gonolek, the grey hornbill, lilac-breasted roller, the crested barbet, Heuglin’s robin-chat and Ross’s Turaco, among others.
Rwanda’s another most fabulous bird watching site is Nyungwe forest national park and it shelters approximately 310 bird species that have been recorded. It’s famous for its forested vegetation cover that has most bird species as compared to other national parks providing excellent birding safaris in Rwanda.
Nyungwe harbors a variety of Albertine Rift endemics, including seven of the 12 species of Soricidae, one species of bat – Rousettus lanosus, 5 of 12 species of Muridae and the chameleon Chameleon johnstoni, two species of squirrels,- Funisciurus carruthersi and Heliosciurus ruwenzori. An amphibian; the caecilian Boulengerula fischeri restricted to a small area of the Albertine Rift occurs commonly in Nyungwe.
Nyabarongo River is another unique area for Rwanda birding tours, providing a safe haven for some of the globally threatened bird species namely; the Madagascar Squacco heron, papyrus Gonolek, Carruthers, Sisticola, white- winged scrub-warbler. Other Birding holidays can also be done in Cyamudongo forest, Rugezi swamp, among others.
Relax at the beach
- Many holiday makers have been attracted to the beautiful sandy beaches around Lake Kivu Rwanda. Many travelers have found it a very cool relaxation destination for travelers on Rwanda safari tours or visitors from Rwanda bird watching safaris, Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris and Rwanda wildlife safaris because of its cool breeze and natural waves. The Lake Kivu beaches are surrounded by mountains that make it an outstanding sight and a perfect place to relax.
- Swimming is a common activity which is carried out on this lake since the lake allows the tourists to relax and chill out as they take a swim. Lucky enough, Lake Kivu has no hippos, crocodiles, no Bilharzia in this lake making it perfect for swimming. The lake water temperatures are very favorable for the swimmers.
Relaxe and chilling out
- Relaxation along the shores of Lake Kivu is the perfect thing to do especially after having a long birdng safari Tour in Rwanda, a gorilla trek in the Volcanoes National Park or a volcano hike as well as chimpanzee trekking. Chilling out along the shores of Lake Kivu after your Long Rwanda safari will make a memorable end of your safari in Rwanda. You will enjoy the tropical sun, or view the beautiful scenery of the lake. The lake provides the best scenic views ever while relaxing along its shores.
Engage in water sports activities along Lake Kivu
- Water sports activities are common along Lake Kivu since there are many water activities that can be engaged in by the tourists. Some of these include; paddling water skiing, wind surfing, and enjoying a motor boat cruise on the lake. Sport Fishing is also a common activity on Lake Kivu however, it needs prior booking.
Go hiking and biking around Lake Kivu
- Hiking and biking alongside the shores of Lake Kivu is a perfect activity a visitor can enjoy while in the Lake Kivu premises. You may choose to do a half day or full day hike or nature walk. Climbing and biking of hills around is the lake is also a common activity that tourists engage in.
Enjoy coffee tours around Lake Kivu
- Rwanda has many coffee plantations and these can be enjoyed by the tourists one coffee tours by taking a boat cruise on the lake to Nyamirundi Island. You can be able to learn the whole process of coffee making starting from stage one to the last stage. You even get chance to test the last product. This experience is so good for those interested in agro- tourism.
Orphanage visit –Gisenyi
- The Imbabazi Orphanage is so common around Lake Kivu and it was started by Rosamond who lived in the Mugongo area. This orphanage was started in 1994 in Gisenyi and it mainly works with children. It attracts many tourists who visit Lake Kivu as well as Rwanda.
Besides a birding watching tour in Rwanda, a wildlife safaris in Rwanda, Gorilla safari tours Rwanda and many more, we can tailor for you an Africa safari itinerary that features different countries so you also enjoy other safari activities like Uganda wildlife safaris, Kenya wildlife safaris,Tanzania wildlife safaris,Kenya birding safaris, Rwanda gorilla safaris, Congo gorilla safaris and many more Africa safari tours. This normally depends on your choice and budget.